Remington Oliver Sexton
Research Scientist, United States Naval Observatory
- Statistical data analysis and machine learning expertise, with experience in C++, IDL, and Python, with 8+ years experience using the Numpy, Pandas, and Scikit-Learn libraries.
- Lead software development experience to perform detailed statistical analysis on large datasets.
- Proficient technical writing and communication skills with 7+ years of university teaching experience.
- Author of 6 publications.
University of California, Riverside
Thesis: Better Constraints for the MBH-sigma Relation in the Non-Local Universe & Correlations of Ionized Gas Outflows with AGN and Host Galaxy Properties
University of California, Riverside
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Thesis: Extended red objects and stellar wind bow shocks in the Carina Nebula
Research Scientist, United States Naval Observatory (Dec. 2020 – Present)
- Research scientist for the Celestial Reference Frame Department (Optical Reference Frame Division).
- Maintenance and support for the International Celestial Reference Frame (ICRF).
- Duties include astronomical research, code development, and spectroscopic analysis of ICRF objects.
Research Scientist, George Mason University (Dec. 2020 – Present)
- Research scientist studying supermassive black holes and ionized gas outflows in active galactic nuclei and dwarf galaxies.
Course Instructor, University of California, Riverside Extension (July 2020 – April 2021)
- Instructor for Introduction to Data Science course. Teaching data science, analysis, and machine learning techniques to university level students.
Graduate Research Assistant, University of California, Riverside (Sept 2013 – July 2020)
- Constraining the M-sigma Relation in the Non-local Universe
- Developed specialized data reduction and analysis pipelines for Keck/LRIS spectroscopy and Hubble Space Telescope imaging.
- Bayesian AGN Decomposition Analysis for SDSS Spectra (BADASS)
- Lead software developer of BADASS spectroscopic analysis pipeline
- Fully automated and scalable spectroscopic analysis pipeline using Bayesian Markov-Chain Monte Carlo and autocorrelation analysis techniques implemented in Python
- Press Release: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-12/uoc–gsb121620.php
- Sexton, R.O., el al. (2020) submitted to MNRAS, “Bayesian AGN Decomposition Analysis for SDSS Spectra”
- Sexton, R.O., Canalizo, G., Hiner, K.D., Komossa, S., Woo, J.-H., and 2 colleagues, “Stronger Constraints on the Evolution of the MBH–σ* Relation up to z∼0.6″, The Astrophysical Journal, Volume 878, Issue 2, article id. 101,27 pp. (2019), https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2019ApJ…878..101S
- Sexton, R.O., Povich, M.S., Smith, N., Babler, B.L., Meade, M.R., and Rudolph, A.L., “Extended red objects and stellar-wind bow shocks in the Carina Nebula”, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Volume 446,Issue 1, p.1047-105, https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2019ApJ…883..167P
- Pfeifle, R.W., Satyapal, S., Manzano-King, C., Cann, J., Sexton, R.O., and 9 colleagues, “A Triple AGN in a Mid-infrared Selected Late-stage Galaxy Merger”, The Astrophysical Journal, Volume 883, Issue 2, article id. 167,11 pp. (2019)., https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2019ApJ…883..167P
- Zheng, W., Filippenko, A.V., Mauerhan, J., Graham, M.L., Yuk, H., Hosseinzadeh, G., Silverman, J.M., Rui, L.,Arbour, R., Foley, R.J., Abolfathi, B., Abramson, L.E., Arcavi, I., Barth, A.J., Bennert, V.N., Brandel, A.P., Cooper,M.C., Cosens, M., Fillingham, S.P., Fulton, B.J., Halevi, G., Howell, D.A., Hsyu, T., Kelly, P.L., Kumar, S., Li, L., Li,W., Malkan, M.A., Manzano-King, C., McCully, C., Nugent, P.E., Pan, Y.-C., Pei, L., Scott, B., Sexton, R.O., and 7colleagues, “Discovery and Follow-up Observations of the Young Type Ia Supernova 2016coj”, The AstrophysicalJournal, Volume 841, Issue 1, article id. 64, 12 pp. (2017), https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2017ApJ…841…64Z
Awards & Achievements
- Dissertation Year Program Fellowship 2019-2020
- Robert T. Wild Physics Prize Award for Excellence in Teaching, Department of Physics and Astronomy, September 26, 2017
- Fellowships & Internships in Extremely Large Data Sets (FIELDS) 2016-2017 Graduate Student Fellowship.
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Department of Physics and Astronomy, May 26, 2016
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Department of Physics and Astronomy, June 12, 2015